This 3800 square foot, high performance home is located amongst the most pristine landscapes in Northern New Mexico. The home is situated on the vast mesa top of Rancho Embudo Al Cielo, a privately owned 640 acre ranch in the Rio Embudo Valley above the Rio Grande River. With dramatic views in every direction, the owners consulted and contracted with Palo Santo Designs to design and build a unique home that captured all view scapes from within the house. The home is uniquely self-sufficient and off the grid, producing 100% of its electrical needs through solar technology.
Stewardship and conservation of precious resources are primary goals for the ranch owners. The home was designed specifically for water conservation, energy efficiency and the use of locally sourced materials.
Constructing a home that was of the highest performance and on the cutting edge in building techniques was a requirement the owners had in the design process. Palo Santo Designs team designed and modeled a home that would exceed the requirements of its occupants.
The home is registered under the US Green Building Council’s (USGBC), ‘LEED For Homes’ certification process for its exemplary performance in green building techniques.
This uniquely built home employees the following attributes:
- Mass Wall systems cast in place with locally sourced pumice stone
- Advanced Framing or Optimum Valued Engineering (OVE) for minimizing the amount of framing members to achieve a tighter thermal envelope with increased wall insulation.
- High Performance Building envelope- Above code required wall and ceiling insulation
- Thermal bypass inspection
- Increased in-door air quality through an Energy Recovery Ventilator (ERV) which exchanges indoor air with fresh air through a HEPA filter. Filtering in-door and out-door pollutants.
- Radon Protection
- High efficiency plumbing fixtures and low flow toilets
- Grey water reuse for landscape irrigation
- Water harvesting
- Site containment during construction to minimize harmful impacts to native landscape
- Low VOC finishes
- Solar PV
- 100% solar thermal heating and domestic hot water
- Energy efficient windows and doors
- Led lighting fixtures